Here are some usefull Firefox extensions
- for everyday :
- Use Flock 🙂
- PermaTab 1.2.0 : with a simple right click, you mark a tab as permanent. Next time you start Firefox, the “permanent tabs” will open automatically. It is lightweight, simple and robust (8ko), unlike SessionSaver or SessionManager (56 and 126 ko) !
- Viamatic foXpose 0.3 (16ko) (or Showcase 0.7.0 :136ko) : view all the browser windows with a single click. For thoses who own a Mac, it is like Exposé.
- Del.icio.us Complete 1.1 : A sidebar for the del.icio.us social bookmarks manager.
- Del.icio.us 1.1 : simply add 2 buttons and optionnaly a menu.
- for developpers :
- Web Developer extension adds a menu and a toolbar to the browser with various web developer tools. A must have obviously.
- Tamper Data 0.98 : this is for serious testing and hacking HTTP(S) communications !
- RefControl 0.8.7 : lets you control the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis. Simple hacking stuff.
- XPather 1.0.1 (26ko) : generates XPaths while browsing documents; evaluates your XPaths and inspects the results; extracts the content.
- Selenium IDE : for functionnal tests. More about it later …
Be carefull : Firefox alone needs a lot of memory, the more you add big extensions, the worse it will be and the more it will crash ! And, as Josep del Río, creator of ShowCase, pointed to me, the package size doesn’t represent simply what is loaded in memory. A little package may be more memory hungry than a bigger one. You have to check your memory size to see the real effect of an extension and there may be memory leaks too …